General questions about Open Selection
1. What is Open Selection?
Open Selection is a new method aimed at choosing the top applicants to take part in “Technology Leadership and Entrepreneurship” program. This selection process is based on assessing practical business skills like teamwork, ability to perform under pressure, creative and critical thinking, etc. rather than purely academic knowledge. Open Selection also allows you to apply as a team and share this achievement with your friends.
2. What is the capacity of the program?
The majority of places on the program is subject to tuition fee. They are available for both Russian and foreign students. The capacity of the program will be determined by the number of applications received. There is also up to 5 places that will be subsidized by the University and will not be subject to tuition fee. These places are only available to Russian citizens and will be given up to the top 5 applicants showing highest performance during the selection process. The top 50% of all foreign applicants will receive a 10% discount on their tuition fees.
3. Can Russian applicants receive a discount on tuition fees?
No, they can not. 10% discount is only available to foreign applicants. Russian citizens are provided with an opportunity to compete up to 5 subsidized places.
4. Where can I find more information about the program?
You can find additional information on the website
оf Peter the Great St.Petersburg Polytechnic University.
5. What is admission timeline?
Admission process will take place between 22 June and 3 August, 12:00 a.m. The first stage of Open Selection will be completed between 22 June and 4 August. Applicants will need to submit their applications and pass the test during this period. The second stage, which is based on team-performance, will take place on 5 August and continue for 24 hours. The results of Open Selection will be announced on 6 August.
6. How can I take part in Open Selection?
In order to take part in Open Selection you need to go on its website, complete authorization process and start working on required tasks.
7. Are there any age limitation on participation in the Open selection?
No, there are no age limitation.
8. What language should be used to fill out an application on the Open Selection website?
All application fields must be filled out in English.
Stage 1 of Open Selection
1. Once again, when does the first stage take place?
From 22 June to 4 August inclusive. We recommend to get started with tasks and activities as early as possible - this way you will have more time to complete them.
2. What kind of tasks are there?
Participants will be invited to take a test, solve business case, evaluate cases solved by other participants, take online-courses on Coursera
platforms as well as present themselves and their achievements.
3. How many points can I receive for completing different tasks?
You can receive a maximum of 100 points for completing all activities in Stage 1.
- maximum reward for applicant's achievements portfolio;
20 points - maximum reward for passing the test;
15 points - maximum reward for evaluating cases solved by other participants;
15 points - maximum reward for solving business case;
5 points - maximum reward for applicant`s profile completeness.
4. Where can I check my points balance?
Once you are logged in on the Open Selection website, go to “My Dashboard” tab to find your personal points balance.
5. How will you check that I have passed recommended online courses?
Information from Stepik platform will be transferred automatically if you share your profile with us and make sure it is not anonymous. If you take courses on Coursera platform, it would be sufficient to send us a screenshot confirming you passed the course.
6. If the courses I took are not among your recommended courses, can I receive points for them?
Yes - just attach your certificates in “other achievements” category.
7. My case is being moderated - what does it mean?
Our moderators are making sure that the case solution is written in English and has relevant content.
8. Who will be assessing my case and how will it be evaluated?
Your case will be assessed by our experts and other Open Selection participants on a two-point scale - “poor” or “excellent”. Other participants` opinion does not affect you points balance, whereas positive expert opinion can provide you with up to 15 points.
9. When will I be able to assess other participants` cases?
You will receive access to case solutions of other participants as soon as your own case has passed moderation.
10. What should I do if I think my points have been incorrectly distributed?
Some points will be automatically calculated by the system. Contact our support team if you have a question or encounter points distribution issue. We will promptly consider your case and fix the issue.
11. What format should I use to submit information about additional achievements?
You can attach a link to your certificate, a file with photographed document or a scan.
12. How fast will the points for achievements be distributed?
The points will be distributed within 24 hours after you submit supporting documents. If the points have not been distributed after 24 hours, please contact our support team.
13. What is “other achievements”?
“Other achievements” may be any achievements you are proud of: interviews, gratitude letters, publications, research papers, published articles, patents, grants you received, etc. The list is inclusive but not exhaustive.
14. How are “other achievements” assessed?
“Other achievements” are manually assessed by moderators. They check if achievements are legitimate and support your experience.
15. Can I provide several achievements of the same category?
Yes, you can. For example, if you have several publications, you can attach each of them separately. The points will be rewarded respectively for each separate achievement.
16. If my publications have not been included in an international citation database, do they still count?
Yes, they do. They will be considered in “other achievements”.
17. How can I access the test?
Once you are logged in on the website, go to the “Pass the test” tab where you can find a link to the test, login and password details.
18. How many points can I receive for passing the test?
If you pass the test, you will receive 20 points. Please note, that passing the test is a mandatory step of this stage.
19. What language should be used to fill out an application on the Test website?
All application fields must be filled out in English.
20. How soon will I know my test results?
You will receive 20 points within 24 hours after you pass the test.
21. Can I retake the test one more time?
No, you can not. Every participant can only attempt this test once. The test will automatically be finished 75 min after it has started.
22. Can I move on to Stage 2 if I do not pass the test?
No, you can not. Passing the test is a mandatory step of this stage.
23. What effect does the test result have?
In case several participants have equal amount of total points in the end, the one with a better test result will be ahead in the rating.
24. How can I check my test result?
This information will be available once the Open Selection process is completed.
25. What topics will the test cover?
The test consists of three subject areas: Economics, Entrepreneurship and Management.
You can find a list of general topics (in English language) below.
• The concept of the market, its components and functions, advantages and disadvantages.
• Market competition: essence, types and forms. Perfect and imperfect competition.
• Elasticity of supply and demand. The effect of replacement and an income effect.
• Costs: essence and types. The dependence of production costs on output volume.
• The essence, functions and types of profit. Factors that determine it. The conditions of profit maximization under conditions of perfect and imperfect competition.
• Gross national product and methods of its calculation. The concept of added value.
• Investments: the essence, functions, types, and factors that determine them.
• Credit: the essence, functions and forms. Loan interest (rate, dynamics).
• Inflation: causes, types, methods of measurement, socio-economic consequences.
• Economic bases of taxation. Functions and types of taxes.
• The concept and definition of entrepreneurship.
• Subjects of entrepreneurial activity. Entrepreneurship as a process.
• Estimation of the need for starting capital. Break-even model.
• Analysis “risk-return”. Types of assets and their profitability.
• Perception and determination of business opportunities. Definition of the business concept.
• The concept and definition of a business model (revenue model). Resource requirements planning.
• Concept and types of entrepreneurial risk. Commercial risk and economic soundness of intrafirm planning.
• History of management. School of Management. Basic approaches to management and stages of management development in the XX-XXI centuries.
• Management of socio-economic systems (organizations). Organizational culture of the enterprise. Individual motivation at the enterprise (Motives and staff needs, value system, measures to increase staff motivation).
• Methodological basis of management. The concept and classification of methods and approaches in management. Classification of management functions. Types of management decisions.
• Strategic and tactical plans in the management system. Strategic planning. Development of enterprise strategies. Types of plans. Principles of planning. Assessment of the quality of the plan.
• Organizational relations in the management system. Separation of power according to management levels. Collective management. Organizational structures of enterprise management (advantages and disadvantages). Characteristics of the main legal forms of organization.
• Motivation of activities in management. Content (Maslow, Alderfer, McClellad, Herzberg, McGregor) and procedural theories of motivation (Vroom, theory of justice, Porter-Lawler).
• Group dynamics and leadership in the management system. Groups as objects of management. Managing informal groups: the reasons for the formation, characteristics, principles of management. Approaches to leadership. Situational models in the theory of leadership.
• Leadership: power and partnership. Types of power. Delegation of authority: advantages and disadvantages. Levels of delegation.
• Conflict in management. Causes, sources and types of conflict. Stresses in the process of management.
• Management style and management effectiveness factors. Management style. Formation of the image of the leader. Evaluation of the effectiveness of the manager.
Stage 2 of Open Selection
1. When will Stage 2 take place?
Stage 2 will take place on 5 August and continue for 24 hours.
2. What language will this stage be conducted in?
This stage of the Selection will be conducted in English.
3. Will all the participants move on to the Stage 2?
Only those participants that have successfully passed the test will move to Stage 2 of the Selection.
4. How will the participants be allocated in teams?
Participants will be allocated in teams based on their results in Stage 1. Those with a similar points balance will be on the same team. The more points you have as a result of Stage 1, the better chances you have to get on an active team.
5. Can Russian and foreign participants be a part of the same team?
Yes, they can.
6. How many members will each team have?
Each team will consist of no more than 5 members. The total number of participants will be evenly allocated in teams.
7. I would like to participate together with my team - can I do that?
Yes, you can. You will need to send an email to [email protected]
. In this case, every member will need to confirm their willingness to be on the same team.
8. Can I form a team with people I do not know?
Yes, you can. You can find your potential team-members in the Public Dashboard section of Open Selection website. Every member will need to confirm their willingness to be on the same team.
9. Can we be on the same team, if our group is bigger than five?
No, you can not. If there is more than 5 people in your group, you will be split into different teams.
10. How will I find out about the start of Stage 2?
All relevant information will be available for you in your personal account on the Open Selection website. We will provide you with additional information via email or SMS.
11. Where will Stage 2 take place?
Stage 2 will be conducted via Telegram. Every team will have their own chat where its members will communicate and receive bot-generated tasks. Teams will be rewarded 10 points for each completed task. The more tasks will be accomplished by the team, the more points it will receive.
12. How to get access to the Telegram team-chat?
A link to your team-chat will be uploaded to your personal account. We will also send it to you via email. You can join the chat in advance to familiarize yourself with the new environment and interface.
13. How can I download Telegram on my computer?
You can download and set up this program using the link
on its official website.
Open Selection results
1. How will I find out the results?
You can keep track of your results in your personal account (Dashboard section) during the whole selection process. The final rating of all participants will be published on the Open Selection website upon completion of Stage 2. You will also receive an email with your individual results, benefits and additional admission information.
2. How is each participant`s personal rating calculated?
The points total for Stage 1 is multiplied by 0,1 (Stage 1 contributes to 10% of final result). The points total for Stage 2 is multiplied by 0,9 (Stage 2 contributes to 90% of the final result). A sum of these two figures will determine each applicant`s total points balance and their place in the final rating.
3. How long do I have to appeal my results?
You have 24 hours to apply for appeal after results have been published. The final rating might change as a result of appeal.
4. What criteria will be used to pick a winner, if several top applicants have equal amount of total points?
Should this situation happen, an applicant with the highest test result in Stage 1 will win.
1. What documents are required for admission?
You need to provide your education documents, passport and an application form. You will receive further admission instructions via email. Admission documents can be submitted at any time during the selection process.
2. What is the deadline for submitting admission documents?
You must send your documents for admission until August 3, 12:00 a.m.
1. What should I do if I am experiencing technical issue or have a question?
Contact our support team at [email protected]
- we will get back to you within 24 hours and fix the issue.